This is a great carrot cake recipe that is easy to make. Walnuts add a lovely crunch but feel free to leave them out if you don’t like nuts. You will love this incredibly moist carrot cake recipe with ultra-creamy lemon frosting.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup wholemeal pastry flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
½ cup raisins
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp. apple butter
½ cup soy milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsps. apple cider vinegar
½ cup walnuts, chopped
2 cups grated carrots, firmly packed
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Pinch sea salt
1/2 cup maple or rice syrup
1/4 tsp. ume plum seasoning
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Drain the cashews and discard the soaking water. Add all ingredients for the topping to a food processor or blender and blend until silky smooth. Transfer to a covered dish and chill in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 170/350°.
- Grease a round cake tin (10-12 inches).
- Soak the raisins in the orange juice for about 15 minutes. Using a sieve add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Drain the raisins and put two tablespoons of the orange juice into a small bowl with the apple butter, maple or rice syrup, soy milk, vanilla and vinegar.
- Whisk well and pour into the dry mixture along with the raisins, walnuts and carrots.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool the cake tins on a wire rack before Inverting each layer onto a plate.
- Spread a generous layer of frosting on the top the cake and if you desire around the cake. Decorate with the roasted almonds and cornflower. Chill in the refrigerator and slice when ready to ENJOY.